Non-QM Resource Center
Looking for more information on how to use non-QM to increase your volume? You are in the right place! The educational links below will tell you more about non-QM, the mortgage products and the profile of non-QM borrowers. By helping underserved borrowers you can grow your referral base and your business. Please contact an account executive with any questions or for more detailed information. Our account executives are always available to present to your clients on your behalf as the expert on non-QM. Increase Your Volume With The Power Of Angel Oak!
What is Non-QM?
A non-qualified mortgage or non-QM is a loan for borrowers who cannot meet the guidelines of an Agency or a qualifying mortgage (QM). An example is a self-employed borrower who cannot qualify using their tax returns. They need an alternative solution such as a Bank Statement loan to qualify for a home loan.
What are the advantages of non-QM features versus QM?
Non-QM must satisfy the ability to repay rule (ATR) just like a QM loan, but there are benefits to non-QM that do not apply to a QM loan. Non-QM can have loan terms that exceed 30 years or interest only payments.
- The caps on fees and points are maxed at 5% versus 3% for a QM loan.
- The standard DTI on a primary or a second home is 40/50, whereas the DTI on a QM loan can vary.
Self-employed borrowers can qualify submitting bank statements from a personal or business account in lieu of tax returns. Agency or QM loans do not allow bank statement submissions. A huge benefit for real estate investors is that non-QM does not have a limit on the number of non-owner occupied (NOO) properties a borrower can own. As well, non-QM allows NOO properties to close in an LLC while a QM loan does not allow this benefit.
How do non-QM products help borrowers who cannot qualify for a QM loan?
There are many instances of how non-QM can help borrowers or save a deal from a fall-out situation. Here are the most common scenarios:
Bank Statement (Personal or Business): Help self-employed borrowers qualify by basing income on their cash flow and liquid assets since their tax returns and W-2s of pay stubs alone may not be reflective of their ability to repay.
Debt Service Cover Ratio (DSCR): Helps borrowers qualify based on rental analysis to determine property cash flow versus income and debts.
Just Missed: Helps well-qualified borrowers whose credit profile falls just outside of today’s tight and inflexible lending standard.
Life/Credit Event: Helps a borrower that was affected by a negative life or credit event (e.g., bankruptcy, foreclosure, short sale, loss of job, divorce, medical issues, recent mortgage lates).
No Income/High Assets: Allows borrowers to qualify for loans using their liquid assets and does not require employment or debt to income to justify ability to repay. For borrowers who have enough assets to buy the home outright, but they don’t want to liquidate their assets to do so.
Benefit to Originators
Originators who utilize non-QM offer a service that their competition may not offer. They become an expert and go-to for the non-QM borrower. The benefit is increased referrals and business growth despite changes in the market. Continue to increase your volume each year regardless of fluctuating interest rates, tighter Agency guidelines, and a slowing refinance market.
Non-QM Borrower Profiles
Real Estate Investors
These buyers are purchasing based on an anticipated return on their investment and /or new stream of income.
Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions works with brokers and their real estate investor borrowers every day providing solutions that get to the closing table quickly.
The easiest solution can be a cash flow loan such as Angel Oak Mortgage Solution’s Investor Cash Flow loan. This loan is based on a rental analysis to determine cash flow and does not require employment or tax information. It is easy to do and quick to close working with us.
Originators who close these loans with Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions know to call us first to ensure a quick close without delays. Our account executives are experts – the Investor Cash Flow loan is one of our most highly utilized options.
- Investor Cash Flow– Qualification based on property cash flow with a minimum DSCR of 1.0. No DSCR needed with minimum FICO of 700 and maximum LTV of 75%. No income or employment information required. This loan is for non-owner occupied investment properties.
- Warrantable and Non-Warrantable Condos – Investor Cash Flow and full doc Portfolio Select mortgage loans allow warrantable or non-warrantable condos.
- Non-Owner Occupied, Second Homes, Investment Properties – Full doc Portfolio Select, Bank Statement, Platinum Jumbo
Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions works with brokers and their Jumbo borrowers every day providing solutions that get to the closing table quickly.
There are two types of Jumbo loans – Prime and Non-QM. Not all Jumbo borrowers can qualify for a Prime rate because the guidelines are tighter. If that is the case, they might be eligible for a non-QM Jumbo loan. Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions has a non-QM offering called Platinum Jumbo. It is a great full doc option that is easy and quick to close. We receive calls every day from brokers asking us to save a deal because their borrower was turned down for a Prime Jumbo loan.
Originators who close these loans with Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions know to call us first to ensure a quick close without delays. We can determine from the start which loan product to use to avoid a delay in closing.
- Platinum Jumbo – A full doc product for loans up to $3 million. Allows four years out of foreclosure, bankruptcy and deed-in-lieu. A one year tax return option is available as long as it is the most recent year.
- Portfolio Select – A full doc product for loans up to $2.5 million. Allows only one years out of foreclosure, short sale and deed-in-lieu and two years for bankruptcy. A one year tax return option is available as long as it is the most recent year.
- Bank Statement – For self-employed borrowers without tax returns to qualify. Loans up to $3 million. Use 12 or 24 months personal or business bank statements to determine income. Two years seasoning for foreclosure, bankruptcy, short sale, or deed-in-lieu
- Investor Cash Flow – For real estate investors to qualify without tax returns and employment information. Loans up to $1.5 million. Qualifies based on rental analysis to determine cash flow of property.
- Down Payment Options – As low as 10% down depending on the mortgage product.
Non-traditional or gig work consists of income earning jobs based on a contractual or other work arrangement. Gig economy workers can be seasonal or hired on a project basis instead of long-term. Examples include freelancing, subcontractors and temporary agency workers. A good majority of these people receive 1099 tax forms instead of a W-2.
Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions works with brokers and their self-employed borrowers every day providing solutions that get to the closing table quickly.
Self-employed borrowers are allowed deductions on their tax returns to minimize tax liability. At times, the income stated on the return will not allow them to qualify for the home they want to purchase. Their only option is a non-QM solution such as a Bank Statement loan using personal or business account submissions to determine income.
It can be especially challenging for those who are gig workers to qualify for an Agency loan simply because of how and when they earn income. They receive 1099 tax forms and do not have a W-2 to use to qualify for a loan. They can also qualify for a Bank Statement loan or our 1099 Income loan using 1099 earning statements in lieu of bank account statements.
Originators who close these loans with Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions know to call us first to ensure a quick close without delays. Our account executives let them know upfront which loan product they qualify for and the income we will use. Our Bank Statement review team completely reviews, analyzes, and calculates income for you upfront saving you time.
- Bank Statement Product – 12 or 24 months personal or business bank statement submissions offering loans up to $3 million. Two years seasoning for foreclosure, short sale, bankruptcy, or deed-in-lieu.
- 1099 Income – 1099 earners can use their statements in lieu of tax returns. Use 1099s for the last year or last two years based on eligibility.
- Full Doc Portfolio Select – now accepts one year tax returns for those eligible. Ideal for those just two years out of foreclosure, bankruptcy, or deed-in-lieu.
- Asset Qualifier – self-employed borrowers with significant assets can qualify without using income or employment documentation. This is another option for borrowers who have income not reported on a tax return and can utilize liquid assets in savings and investment accounts instead.